CLASS TITLE: WATER DISTRIBUTION OPERATOR - APPRENTICE
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Senior or Journey, the Water Distribution Operator - Apprentice, maintains and repairs the water distribution system to include all appurtenances; assures the water supplied to consumers is safe.
The Water Distribution Operator - Apprentice is generally an entry level position that performs assigned duties under the direction of a Water Distribution Operator – Journey, Senior, or the Water Distribution Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
o The incumbent shall at all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and supervisors.
o Under direction, the Water Distribution Operator – Apprentice performs repair and maintenance activities of the municipal water distribution system to ensure safe, effective operations in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
• Investigate customer complaints of water problem and respectfully resolve those problems in a timely manner in order to maintain positive relations with residents.
• Utilize plumbing and/or pipe fitting skills to remove, repair, and/or install water mains and service lines, meters, valves, fire hydrants and other components of the distribution system.
• Read meters; turn water service off and on as directed.
• Under direct supervision of a Traffic Control Technician, install traffic control for work zones and special events.
o Act as the Responsible Person while on call for the Moscow Public Works Department.
o Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
A basic knowledge of water distribution construction, maintenance, and repair methods and equipment as well as basic reading, writing, math, and computer skills are required. Ability to interact with members of the public respectfully at all times.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
• Valid Driver’s License at time of hire
• Class B CDL (commercial driver’s license) with air brake endorsement or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
• Class I Drinking Water Operator – Distribution License within 1 year is required.
• Flagger Certification or ability to obtain within 1 year of hire.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
• Requires education and/or experience requirements as outlined in IDAPA 24 Title 5 Chapter 1 Rule 328.
PROBLEM SOLVING AND CREATIVITY:
Under direction, this position involves simple problem solving using technical information and may involve emergency situations. Consequences of error may be significant and result in loss of life, injury, financial liability, property loss, or a threat to public health and welfare.
Position functions 5% indoors and 95% outdoors in all types of weather conditions, with exposure to traffic, mechanical, electrical, explosive, and burn hazards; frequent exposure to fumes, dusts, odors, and gases. Required PPE (personal protective equipment) includes safety shoes, gloves, hard hat, safety glasses, and traffic vests.
Heavy physical effort is required to perform job functions, including constant balancing, bending/stooping, climbing into and out of ditches and excavations, moving around construction sites with uneven terrain, lifting and carrying objects weighing as much as 50 pounds.
Work Situation Factors
Position involves variable work hours, extended hours, overtime, and on-call emergency status. DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING REQUIRED PER DOT REGULATIONS for CDL.